Milestones in the history of our Great Hall:
1902: Newspapers report John A. McCall buys the land on which he will build the original Shadow Lawn; ground broken at the mansion site.
1903: The New York Times reports McCall ready to move in to "the most expensive cottage on the north Jersey coast." Within a few years, McCall's finances would fall into disarray; and he dies.
1909: The home changed hands several times before in 1909 J.B. Greenhut purchased what papers at the time noted "is by many regarded as the most beautiful private home in NJ."
1916: Greenhut loaned Woodrow Wilson the mansion as a summer White House.
1918: Hubert Templeton Parson purchases the property.
1927: The wooden Shadow Lawn burns.
1928: The New York Times reports that Horace Trumbauer will be the architect of a new Shadow Lawn; we now know it likely Julian Abele did much of the design work.
1930: The current Shadow Lawn is completed.
1939: Parson loses his fortune, by 1939 West Long Branch acquires the property due to non-payment of taxes. The property would change hands several times prior to purchase by Monmouth Junior College.
1955: Monmouth Junior College (founded in 1933; now Monmouth University) acquires the property.
1956: Monmouth Junior College becomes Monmouth College, and moves from its original home at Long Branch High School to its new property. The Asbury Park Press reads, "Gracious and beautiful Shadow Lawn to become the new home of Monmouth College."
1977: Building listed on the State Register of Historic Places.
1978: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NR Reference #: 78001780). News coverage notes Abele as Trumbauer's assistant.
1982: The major motion picture Annie debuts, featuring the building as Daddy Warbucks's mansion.
1985: Named a National Historic Landmark. According to the National Park Service, "The almost 2,600 properties designated as National Historic Landmarks tell stories that are important to the history of the entire nation, not just local communities or states."